Tuesday, October 9, 2012

House Concerts

Tonight there will be a house concert at the Hammock Hostel (my house), and I decided it was a good time to sit down and reflect about why I enjoy hosting something like this. If you have never been to a house concert... you might be scratching your head as to what it is. I believe the first house concert that I attended was many years ago in Portland, with Chris Cunningham of Storyhill. After that my friend (and talented musician/artist) Chad Elliott further introduced me to the idea of an intimate concert in a living room (or backyard, or anywhere fun!). Since that time I have attended, played, and hosted many wonderful house concerts. I even joined a website called Concerts In Your Home dedicated to connecting folks who want to host house concerts with musicians looking to play!

This evening a wonderful artist, Emma Hill will be performing for friends in my living room (there is still some room if you want to come!). The focus will be on listening and connecting with an artist sharing their music... as well as providing an opportunity for people to connect as community. No matter how nervous I get about... how many people will show, or if everything will be set up right... it always turns out great! Why? Because at the core of an event like this, the intention is to share something authentic. Yes, there needs to be donations so that the musician can keep driving down the road (and pay a few bills), and work to make it all go smoothly. However, it is not about over priced tickets for lots of advertising, bells and whistles, and greed that often gets in the way of people gathering to enjoy a performance. For this reason, both the artist and the guest are taken care of (and usually have a lot of fun).


As I get my musical endeavors moving forward (in the process of recording right now)... I am hoping to play mostly house concerts and share my music in this way. If you would like to host a house concert, with me (or other artists), check out the great resources on Concerts In Your Home, and get in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment